"All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveller is unaware"-Martin Buber

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Kashmir-Gulmarg

On Day 2, we were taken to Gulmarg-Path of Roses (though we didn’t see that many flowers). We booked a guide, though I felt later on that there wasn’t any need for one. We went to the ropeway-location via ponies. I don’t know if it is true or a story made-up by the guide but he said that vehicles from outside Gulmarg aren’t allowed to enter it...So, if you want to avoid the pony-riding, make sure you stay at Gulmarg. :P.
Ma’s pony-riding was pathetic and it gave my father and me (and the guide, the helpers…and the onlookers) some memorable, hilarious moments to cherish a lifetime. :D. The ropeway took us first to Phase 1 and then to Phase 2-very costly journey..I think, the total expenditure crossed Rs. 2000. Is it worth it? Well, if you go in summer and want to see the snow, then yes, it is. Phase 2 is called Afarvat-you’ll have difficulty in breathing since it is in high altitude (forgot how high, sorry)..my ma was feeling dizzy and nauseatic..so, you must go there, only if you are physically fit. The distance from Phase 2 till the snow was not that great but my ma and baba(father) both backed away from going up. I decided I would go anyway, just because the rope-way journey had been so costly and I didn’t want all of the money to go to waste! So, I went along with the guide (okay, I think you need someone’s help to go upto the snow-covered area…That was one time the guide came in handy). Seeing his precious, vulnerable, “most beautiful” daughter go away alone with the guide (there were tourists ALL around), invoked the over-protective sense in my father and he followed us (yes, you got it right. Living with him IS difficult!).
The snow was the most memorable experience in Gulmarg. It was so slippery! Adventure seekers had the option of skiing…and if you could manage to walk in the snow for a while, you could even see Ladakh (I didn’t do either of those)!
Later on, the ponies took us to some other locations in and around Gulmarg, none of which were that good (though I thoroughly enjoyed the ride). The guide confided to us that one needed a lot more time to see the whole of Gulmarg.
This kind-of summarizes my Gulmarg experience. If you go there in winter, you’ll have a completely different experience…The ropeways aren’t functional then and the winter sports are what attract the tourists (mostly foreigners) then.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your experience with us . yeah Pony riding has great fun . nice captures . Kashmir Tour Packages

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi..It was lovely reading your blog post. :) A picture perfect landscape, sprawling valleys, beautiful snow capped sky high mountains, serene lakes and lovely people describe Gulmarg at its best. For accommodation, check out these popular Gulmarg Hotels.

    ReplyDelete