"All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveller is unaware"-Martin Buber

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Kashmir-Srinagar

We went to Kashmir with SOTC.
On Day 1, we saw a bit of Srinagar and the remaining bit was seen on day 4 and 5. I'll compile them in one post. First, we were taken from the airport to Meena Groups of Housboats.

The first thing that you'll notice when you go to Kashmir is just how good looking the men are. I don't know much about the girls-most of their faces were covered in a burka(the black veiled attire that Muslim females are supposed to wear) and the ones whose faces weren't covered, didn't look that striking to me(maybe guys will have a different view). But the guys-I was practically gaping...atleast 95% of men are goodlooking there...it's almost as if all the handsome men from all over India, decided they wanted to stay in Kashmir. The second thing that you'll become aware of is the security-there are armed soldiers all around-it's kind-of chilling.

Once we reached the Dal Lake, we were transported via a shikara(boat) to our houseboat. I knew it then and there that I was going to enjoy this holiday. Then, when I saw the room in the houseboat, my conviction (of how good the trip was going to be) strengthened. It was soooo beautiful! Add to that the amazing hospitality of the caretaker...If anyone wants to enjoy their stay at Srinagar, they absolutely must stay at the Meena Groups of Houseboats(there are zillions of houseboats but these are the best). The caretaker brought us the unique Kashmiri tea. After resting for a while, we went for a shikara ride.
I think the shikara ride was one of my best experiences in Kashmir.
As our shikara went along, other shikaras came to us to sell a variety of products-Kesar, jewellery, fruits, cold-drinks, Kashmir-style photographs (wherein, they would dress you up in Kashmiri style-without taking off your clothes-and take your pics.) and all sorts of other items. Shopping on water anyone? :D. It was so much fun! Who wants Venice when there is the shikara ride in Dal Lake?!
On Day 4, we went to the Jamal Resorts. My advice-don't stay there. The hotel is of average quality and the food offered by the restaurant is downright below average, yet the cost is appalling (E.g-One naan costs more than 100Rs!).

On Day 5, we were taken to the Shankaracharya Temple and three BEAUTIFUL gardens-Mughal, Shalimar and Chasma-Shahi.
Though Shalimar is like any other beautiful garden, Mughal Garden and Chasma-Shahi shouldn't be missed-they are special. The Chasma-Shahi visit was made memorable by a group of school-kids playing in the water.
P.S- If My photos look haphazardly placed, I can't help it..This is the best I could manage. Plus, just a while ago, there was a mild Earthquake! So, I have to go offline now (incase, I have to run out again...I want to be dressed-up decently the next time. :P).

No comments:

Post a Comment